The Mid-Atlantic Karst Conservancy has no paid staff and all work is carried our by volunteers.
One of the best ways to help the MAKC is by contributing your time, energy, and expertise.
- Help us by getting others to sign up as members or sponsors.
- Join us on one of our work project days. Planned projects include cleanups of local caves & surrounding property, surveying, and work days at our Preserves.
- Volunteer to be a board member. We are always looking for new dedicated people to join our board of directors. Board members must be strongly committed to our conservation goals, be able to attend at least 3 of our 4 yearly board meetings (held in various location, but primarily in western PA), and willing to contribute a significant amount of their time for MAKC activities. Board members are elected by our members and serve one to three year terms.
- Help out at the MAKC booth. For example, volunteers at OTR were responsible for selling many of our raffle tickets and selling MAKC merchandise.
- Volunteer to work with us on fund raising, property acquisition, property management, or other MAKC activities. We particularly need people with experience in grant writing, public relations, marketing, sales, law, and cave and karst sciences (geology, hydrology, and biology) , but the only prerequisite is a desire to help out.
- Contribute articles and pictures to our newsletter and web site. We are particularly interested in showing the local caves and karst that we are working to protect and in cave conservation efforts and approaches.
- To find out more on how you can volunteer, contact any of our board members, visit out booth at caving events, or send us email.